A multi-branch retail buyer, responsible for selecting and purchasing merchandise for multiple retail locations. Primary objective is to ensure that the right products are available in the right quantities, at the right time, and at the right price across all branches.
In liaison with Department Heads and extended Buying team (Product file administrator, Goods In, Purchase Ledger admin):
1. Supplier Management: Establish and maintain relationships with suppliers and negotiate favourable terms and conditions, including pricing, payment terms, and delivery schedules. Evaluate supplier performance, resolve any issues, and ensure that the suppliers meet quality standards.
2. Stock Management: Be responsible for managing stock levels across multiple branches. Monitor stock levels, sales data, and market trends to determine the appropriate quantity of products to order. This involves forecasting demand, setting inventory targets, and implementing strategies to optimise stock levels and minimize stock-outs or overstock situations.
3. Product Selection: Research the market to identify trends, analyse customer preferences, and identify products that will appeal to the target customer base. Work closely with suppliers and attend trade shows and industry events to discover new and innovative products.
4. Pricing and Profitability: Monitor pricing structures, competitor pricing, and market dynamics to determine optimal pricing strategies for maximizing sales and profitability. Negotiate pricing with suppliers and determine markdown strategies for slow-moving or seasonal products to achieve sales targets and maintain healthy margins.
5. Product range Planning: Develop a balanced assortment of products for each branch, taking into account customer preferences, seasonal trends, and regional variations. Collaborate with store managers and analyse sales data to identify gaps in our offering, introduce new product categories, and make informed decisions about product range changes.
6. Market Research and Analysis: The retail buyer conducts market research and analyses sales data to identify emerging trends, customer preferences, and competitive landscapes. Stay informed about industry developments, competitor activities, and consumer behaviour to make data-driven decisions and capitalise on market opportunities.
7. Communication and Collaboration: Collaborate with various internal stakeholders, including Department Heads and marketing department to align buying decisions with overall business objectives. Communicate product strategies, promotional plans, and inventory updates to ensure seamless execution across branches.
8. Performance Evaluation: Monitor the performance of products, suppliers, and branches to assess the effectiveness of buying decisions. Analyse sales data, customer feedback, and key performance indicators to evaluate product performance, supplier relationships, and branch profitability. Based on these insights, make adjustments to buying strategies and identify areas for improvement.
9. Compliance and Ethical Sourcing: Ensure compliance with legal, ethical and regulatory standards in sourcing products. Assessing and selecting suppliers who adhere to fair trade practices, sustainability standards, and social responsibility guidelines.
Tagged as: multi branch focus, negotiation, sourcing, stock management, supplier evaluation